Most of us think of coconut oil in terms of cooking, creating yummy dishes with a delicious nutty flavor to it. But coconut oil’s uses extend far beyond the kitchen; it is a complete all rounder when it comes to home remedies! Ayurveda has been using coconut oil for ages, but it got lost somewhere in between, although recent times have seen people waking up to its various benefits. To further support the revival of coconut oil, here is a list of 25 uses of coconut oil that you must know!!
25 Uses of Coconut Oil that You Must Know
Skin & Hair Care
1. Oil Massage – Nothing beats a good massage in relieving those tired muscles and knots in your body! You can use plain coconut oil, or mix it up with an essential oil for a smooth, relaxing massage.
2. Eczema – Anyone who’s suffered from eczema knows how helpful coconut oil can be for their skin. However, virgin coconut oil is what really helps, as regular coconut oil hasn’t been found to be as effective.
3. Moisturization – Coconut oil is great for moisturization, even for really dry areas like elbows, knees and feet. Applying coconut oil all over the body before a warm bath results in super soft and supple skin.
4. Dry hair – Is your hair going dry and frizzy in high heat and humidity? Coconut oil to the rescue! Coconut oil is a superb conditioner, and can be used either to just tame flyaways to soothe hair or as a full on deep conditioning treatment. Warming the oil a little improves its efficiency.
5. Exfoliation – You don’t need an expensive tub of store bought scrub for good exfoliation; DIY solutions work just a swell. Heat ½ cup of coconut oil till warm and mix with 1 cup of brown sugar and a little vanilla extract for a delicious smelling and effective body scrub.
6. Makeup Remover – Coconut oil has properties that help to break down water proof ingredients in eye makeup easily, which means that eyeliner and mascara can be removed without any rubbing which can hurt the delicate eye area.
7. Lip Balm – Coconut oil has a natural SPF of about 4 to 6 and is highly moisturizing. This makes it the ideal thing to apply on your chapped lips for complete protection and nourishment. Another plus is that there’s no harm if it gets ingested!
8. Shaving Cream – With coconut oil, there’s no need to worry about ingrown hairs anymore. Warm the oil a little before spreading over your legs and find the razor gliding smoothly, moisturizing legs in the process!
9. Long Eyelashes – Coconut oil is great as a night cream, but not just for the skin. A tiny amount dabbed on the eyelashes at night will help them become strong and long and will also prevent breakage.
10. Highlighter – If you want to perk your face up with a natural glow, just dab a little coconut oil on your cheekbones on top of your makeup. Your face will look brighter and fresher, without any added chemicals!
Moms & Babies
11. Diaper Rash – Most babies have diaper rash at some point in their lives and rather than going for over the counter creams filled with chemicals, try using natural coconut oil on baby’s delicate skin. A very little goes a long way too!
12. Cracked Nipples – Most Moms just suffer through sore and cracked nipples since they don’t want to apply chemical creams for fear of toxins that might get into their babies while feeding. The best solution is coconut oil that soothes, heals and is completely safe.
13. Stretch Marks – Stretch marks are an inevitable part of your skin expanding during pregnancy, but you can lessen the intensity of the marks. Consistent application of coconut oil all over the belly, hips and thighs can help in fainter marks.
14. Cradle Cap – Some babies develop a cradle cap, seen as scaly skin on the top of the head, usually yellowish brown in color. You can help remove the thick scales by softening them with natural coconut oil, and then brushing gently with a soft baby brush.
15. Lice – If there’s a lice outbreak in your family, everyone will have to be treated, even little ones. Before you reach for that medicated shampoo, give coconut oil a try. Rinse the hair in vinegar, and when dry, coat the scalp and hair in oil and leave it on for a few hours. Comb through to get all the lice out and then shampoo as usual.
16. Furniture Polish – Leather & wood are materials that age well if maintained properly. Keep your furniture ship shape by buffing with a cloth dabbed with coconut oil. Just a little oil will restore its shine, at a fraction of the price of a chemical cleaner!
17. Sticky Surfaces – It can be really annoying, trying to get sticky muck off your hands or releasing a particularly stubborn adhesive. The solution is with coconut oil, which is so good it can even take out stuck chewing gum! The slipperiness of the oil helps the sticky part release itself without damage to the surface.
18. Rust Removal – Rust reduces the efficiency of things like knives and scissors, besides being unsightly. To remove rust, just apply a layer of oil and leave it for a couple of hours before wiping off with a dry cloth.
19. Squeaky Hinges – Coconut oil is also a great lubricant and all kinds of small machines and squeaky hinges can be taken care of. Apply just a small amount at first, and then more if the problem isn’t resolved.
20. Shine Plants – Give your listless plants new life by shining them up with coconut oil. You can avoid synthetic waxes and give your plants an all natural shine that also helps them breathe.
21. Bug Spray – Ditch the sprays filled with chemicals and go with an all natural variety. Mix 5 drops of an essential oil like tea tree oil with ¼ cup coconut oil in a spray bottle and don’t worry about pests anymore!
22. Bug Bites – If you didn’t know about the spray and got bitten by a bug, don’t worry – coconut oil can still help. Dab a little on the area of the bug bite; it forms a thin layer that keeps out dust and bacteria.
23. Sun Damage – If you’ve gotten burnt by the sun, just apply coconut oil to the burned area. The oil will soothe the skin and also help in removing scars if any. Coconut oil is also known for evening out skin tone and removing sun tan.
24. Swim Protection – The chlorine in pools and the salt from the sea can wreak havoc on your hair making prior protection necessary. It is recommended to first saturate hair with fresh water, then squeeze it all out and then apply a layer of coconut oil. The oil will keep the chlorine and salt from damaging the hair.
25. Pets – Coconut Oil is safe for pets – cats, dogs, even horses! It works to soothe irritated skin as well as give their mane a healthy, glossy look. Consuming coconut oil also gives pets a lot of energy, but do so only on your vet’s recommendation.
We’re betting there’re at least a few of these that you didn’t know before! Is there any other use of coconut oil that you swear by? Do let us know!
Latest posts by Fabida A (see all)
- 5 DIY Green Cleaning Recipes that Really Work - July 20, 2017
- 5 Simple Things to do Everyday for Great Skin this Year - February 7, 2017
- 10 Amazing Ways to Reuse Plastic Bags - January 15, 2017