It’s summer – the time for lemonade, vacations and no school! Its also the time for frizz, oily scalp, sun damage and split ends. You take care of your hair meticulously throughout the year only to see it fall flat during summer. These summer problems can be tricky to solve as well. But with a few summer hair care tips, things can fall in place. You try to tackle the oily scalp by shampooing frequently, but excess washing rips the strands of its moisture. It can feel like a Catch 22 situation!
So why exactly does hair get so deviant during summer? The blazing sun dries out all the moisture from hair, making it dry. The excess dryness can trigger dandruff too. And when you pull back dry and brittle hair in a tight ponytail or bun, it can break. Too much sun exposure can also open up the cuticles and make it rough. Too much humidity causes the hair to frizz out, making it look like you’ve got an electric shock. There are additional problems if you use the pool frequently. Chlorine from the pool is extremely harmful for hair, and can even change the color of chemically treated hair!
Now that we know the different ways your hair can get damaged, it’s time to take action! Here are some tried and tested summer hair care tips, recommended by experts and perfect for all your hair woes this season!
10 Summer Hair Care Tips
1. Cover your hair. Use a wide brimmed hat or a scarf, or at least carry an umbrella when outdoors. This also does the additional job of protecting your facial skin from sun damage. Choose a hat that doesn’t let sunlight penetrate through it and a scarf that is made of a breathable fabric. It’s best to avoid materials that can cause static when in contact with hair.
2. Use dry shampoo. Shampooing too much removes natural oils from the hair and scalp and causes more damage. However, you can tackle a greasy scalp with dry shampoo instead. You can make your own DIY dry shampoo right at home. Mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and apply on the scalp with a clean, dry brush.
3. Apply smoothing serum. The best way to keep those frizzy bits in line is to use a smoothening serum on hair strands. Since we don’t want to add to the chemical burden on our hair, it’s a good idea to use a DIY hair serum. Mix together a tablespoon each of jojoba oil and olive oil, and add 6-10 drops of peppermint oil. Pour the mix into a glass bottle with a dropper and store in a cool, dark place.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 536.10Was: INR 599.00
Krya Conditioning Hair nurturing Herbal Mask – with 25 rich Ayurvedic herbs & organic cold pressed oils to nurture, nourish & rejuvenate Dry scalp, & Split ends. Smoothens & improves Frizzy & Static filled hair. Reduces Hair breakage & Improves hair growth - SLS free, SLeS free, Sulphate free, Paraben free, Mineral oil free, Synthetic fragrance & colour free, Silicone free, Chemical free , All Natural - 100 gmPrice: INR 360.00
Price: INR 213.00Was: INR 250.00
4. Avoid tight hair styles. Tight pony tails or buns can break hair that is already dry and damaged due to the summer heat. Since letting down your hair can be uncomfortable when it’s hot, it’s best to try other hairstyles like a loose braid or low bun. Another option is to get a short hair cut that’s easy to maintain.
5. Get a hair trim. Sun damage can cause split ends which can give hair a very unruly look. A hair trim is the obvious solution, though hair experts recommend getting a trim just before summer starts, and keeping it that way till summer ends. This reduces excessive damage on your hair and saves you a lot of maintenance trouble.
6. Stay hydrated. Water is not just important for the body, but for hair as well, and especially so during summer. Water helps in cell growth and transportation of minerals, and good hydration ensures that hair stays hydrated and healthy. Adequate water also prevents drying of the scalp and a subsequent dandruff problem.
7. Get proper nourishment. We tend to eat less during summer, which may lead to a deficiency of valuable nutrients that are needed for healthy hair. Eat foods rich in omega 3, biotin, protein, zinc, iron and Vitamins A & C. Such foods include eggs, spinach, nuts, seeds, avocado, citrus fruits and carrots.
Products from Amazon.in
Mamaearth Happy Heads Hair Shampoo 200ml with Biotin, Horse Chestnut, Bhringraj and Amla. Sulfate Free, SLES FreePrice: INR 290.00Was: INR 349.00
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!