In my last post I wrote about being diagnosed with Cervical Spondylisis. It’s been close to a month now and with the regular exercises and other lifestyle changes I have managed to reduce the intensity of the pain. One of the first things that I did post the diagnosis was to change the pillow I use. I needed to move away from the softer pillows and use one that supported the neck and the back to reduce the intensity of the pains I was having. I am still continuing with the exercises and using the neck compress that I have mentioned in the earlier post.
Omved Buckwheat Hull Pillow
The good thing about this pillow is that you can easily access the hulls so you can remove the buckwheat hulls and adjust it to the height you want if you feel that the height is too much to handle. Just ensure that you store it in a airtight bag.
The Omved buckwheat hull pillow takes time getting used to it and honestly the first time that I used it, I had a very disturbed sleep because of the rustling of the hulls in the case. It took me at least 2 days to get used to it and after that it was a comfortable sleep. Buckwheat hulls take the shape of your head, thus making the pillow comfortable. Its hard when you keep your head and I am using it for a medical condition, so the pillow is very beneficial for my neck and back.
Buckwheat hulls are seeds that have been cleaned and stuffed in the pillow. The pillow is filled with the hull or cover of seed. The actual seeds are removed and just the hulls are used in the pillow. See the pic below, that is what the buckwheat hulls look like. With regular use of the pillow, the seeds get polished and the pillow gets more comfortable.
Advantages of using Omved Buckwheat Hull Pillow
- The unique shape of the hulls do not flatten thus it always keeps it pillow in shape.
- Did you know that the hulls are hypo-allergenic and resist mold? Since they are cleaned several times through the dust ventilator, they are dust resistant.
- The Buckwheat hull pillow can be adjusted to your individual needs. The pillow is packed with thousands of unevenly shaped hulls that lets it mould to the shape required.
- The filling allows air flow around your head, neck and scalp, keeping you cool and dry even on hot humid nights.
- The filling also lasts for many years. Look up the care section to know how you can make the Omved buckwheat hull pillow last even longer. With prolonged use the buckwheat hulls become polished and work better as they are able to conform even more easily to your contours.
- This is the best part! It is chemical free! Most pillows have synthetic fiber, foam and feather fillings that contain formaldehyde, UV inhibitors or anti-fungal agents. There are no chemical additives used in the growing of our hulls, and the only cleaning agent used is air.
- Yes, these are also eco-friendly. Buckwheat hulls are 100% biodegradable and made of unneeded shells of the fruits.
Caring for it
A good quality buckwheat pillow can last for 7-10 years when you ensure proper care. You cannot wash the pillow with the hulls, it will spoil it. Keep the pillow in direct sunlight for a few hours once every two months or so to get rid of the germs and cleanse it naturally.
Look up this product here. Priced at INR 1790, this wonderful buckwheat hull pillow is recommended by chiropractors, massage therapists and physiotherapists to aid in sleeplessness, allergies, reduce headaches, migraines, snoring, TMJ syndrome, cervical and lumbar subluxations, sleep apnea, etc.
I’ve been using this for a while now, more than a month in fact and I find it difficult to go back to a regular pillow.
Have you used a buckwheat pillow or do you have some natural remedies to soothe the aching neck and back? Share it with me in the comments below.