Getting ready to welcome a baby? Then this what-to-buy guide is what you need to bookmark. Whether you are new or soon-to-be parents, it is time to get your nursery ready before the newborn baby’s arrival. Here is a comprehensive guide for newborn baby essentials checklist that you will need.
The nursery should have the most essential items that a newborn baby will require in the initial months. With both parents working till the last date, most soon-to-be parents today get the nursery ready before the birth of the baby. Yes, I know it is therapeutic to go baby shopping, but as long as you have just the newborn baby essentials, you are sorted!
Newborn Baby Essentials Checklist
As a first time parent I went overboard and bought so many things that actually went unused! More so, because I was expecting twins, I think I overstocked on most of “all the newborn baby essentials”. The truth is that the newborn does not require a lot of things and as I said, I tons of baby essentials that the boys either outgrew or I never got around using them.
So, here is the newborn baby essentials checklist that will ensure you shop for just the things required.
Larger / Must-have items
These are the basic items that you will need when you are on the move with your little one.
Infant safety seat/Car Seat
It isn’t mandatory to use a car-seat in India as yet, but with the current traffic scenario, it would be good to ensure your child is safely seated. Luvlap &Chicco are some of the suggested brands that you can consider.
I never got to pick one because we didn’t get a good choice for prams that could hold twins. You get compact strollers that are travel friendly as well. Opt for them. Amazon has a wide variety of prams and strollers that you can look up.
These are fast catching up and most parents today love a sling option because it makes them feel more connected with the baby. Soul Slings is one brand that has a variety of slings that you can choose from.
A baby compress helps to soothe a colicky baby. Explore the all-natural and organic baby compress from Omved that doubles up as a hot and cold compress.
Baby Bag / Diaper Bag
Most baby or diaper bags come with changing mat. So you will not need to buy a changing mat separately. What you need for the diaper bag are the following:
- 4 packets of nappy sized pads/newborn nappy sized pads
- Wipes – I recommend the MamaEarth wipes because it is bio-degradable and won’t contribute to a landfill.
- Diaper rash cream
- Cloth Diapers
- A set of onesies
- A paper bag to store the soiled clothes
Skin and Hair Care
With a surge of brands flooding the market, each claiming to be the best of Indian brands for safe and natural baby products, choosing the right product becomes a tad difficult. What you will need for skin and hair care are:
- Massage Oil
- Organic & Natural Shampoo
- Organic & Natural Bodywash
- A talc-free powder
- Ubtans for a baby bath
- Hair Oil
- Moisturising Lotions or Creams
Refer to the post below to know which brands in India are safe for baby products. There are a lot of Indian brands for safe and natural baby products that make a variety of products that are safe for your baby as well as earth. Let’s say that you are opting more for a green parenting style by reducing your carbon footprint on earth.
The one part where most new parents and soon-to-be parents go a bit overboard. Here is the basic newborn baby essentials checklist for clothes.
- 10 Onesies or tees. Choose the type you want depending on the season. ( Organic cotton/bamboo cotton are the best)
- 4 pairs of socks
- 8 pairs of night wear. Opt for the ones that cover the baby completely.
- 12 bibs that can be reused and washed
- 12 washcloths
- 10 sleeveless vests or undershirts
- Baby Blankets to cover them once they sleep
- Baby pillow
- 8 outfits for out wear
- 6 Swaddling cloths / blankets
- 6 Outing clothes
- Soft towels to wrap them up after a bath
Whether you are breast-feeding your baby or choosing not to, you will need the right equipment’s to get the things going!
- Breast pads to protect your clothes from staining when it overflows.
- A comfy cushion that you can lean on to while feeding the baby.
- A breast pump to express the milk. You will also need containers to store the expressed milk.
- 6 feeding bottles with teats
- Nipple cleaner & Bottle cleaner
- Mild bottle cleaner
- Feeding bottle sterlizer
- Thermal bottle carrier
- Milk Powder container
- Mattress for the cot
- Waterproof mattress covers
- Fitted cot sheets
- Cloth blankets
- Pillows and mosquito net
- Cot Mobile
- A few baby toys
Even with this super exhaustive newborn baby essentials checklist, you’ll probably need more items. If you are hosting a baby shower, ideally shop post the baby shower because you will obviously receive gifts for the baby.