I was introduced to essential oil a few years ago and ever since they have been a part of my daily life. I use them in diffusers for their different healing and therapeutic properties. Essential oils are also used extensively in my recipes that include making my own lip balm, pain relief lotion bars and regular lotion bars. Needless to say that I have stash of pure essential oils as well as the blended ones at home.
While the individual essential oils are used mostly in recipes, the blended ones are used in a diffuser. When I started writing this post, I wanted to list at least 7-8 must have essential oils for a home. As I progressed, so did the word limit and I decided to write two posts instead of one.
In this first post, I am listing the top 3 must have essential oils for your home. Each essential oil comes with its healing and useful properties that include skin, health and home care.
3 must have essential oils in your home
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint EO is one of the first oils I discovered and I always have a bottle or two of it stocked at home. This is one of the most strongest essential oils and it is not recommended that you apply it directly on your skin. Always dilute it with a carrier oil and use it.
- Apply on temples and the nape of the neck to reduce the intensity of a headache.
- Dab a few drops and massage on your tummy and massage to aid a better digestion
- Need an energy boost? Use a few drops of peppermint EO in diffuser to get a boost of alertness
- Massage peppermint into joints to helps reduce the pains and inflammation.
- Add a few drops of peppermint EO to a cotton ball and keep in the corner to keep it bug free.
- Add two drops of peppermint EO to a mug of water and use it to wash your face.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender EO is a great oil that helps in skin care. It can lighten the appearance of age spots and also helps regenerate skin cells. This oil also promotes an overall well-being because of its calming properties.
- Need to unwind after a hectic day? Use it in a diffuser to let its calming fragrance relax you.
- Mix a few drops of lavender EO with water and use as a spritz on your linen. You’ll have a calming sleep.
- Add a few drops of this EO to coconut oil and massage your scalp to reduce dandruff.
- Massage lavender EO mixed with coconut oil on the back of your neck to promote relaxation after a busy day.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon EO is known for its powerful antiseptic, antifungal and antiviral properties. I have always found the aroma of lemon to be uplifting and it totally peps me up on a tiring day.
- Mix together 250 ml of water with 10 – 15 drops of lemon EO bottle of water. Keep in a bottle with a spray nozzle, use this to clean and disinfect counter tops and surfaces.
- If you use a commercial hand wash, add a few drops of lemon oil to the soap to disinfect your hands better.
- Add 5 drops of lemon oil to a cotton ball and keep it the bathroom to use as a natural air freshener.
- Got a dirty kitchen cloth? In a bowl of hot water add 2-3 drops of lemon EO and soak the dirty wash cloths in it. Gently rub it clean after and hour.
I have been making my own recipes with these oils for a few months now and one of the the most effective recipe is the vapour rub that I make for my boys. I use this instead of the ones available in the market. This one is super simple and absolutely easy to make. It acts as a wonderful decongestant and makes them sleep well. Teamed with Omved’s Sushwasa blended oil, the cough and cold reduces its intensity really quickly.
Source for : Main Image
Follow Me On…
*All of my reviews are based on my own personal experiences with the brand/products. If it is a sponsored post, it is indicated. Most of the brands and products reviewed are what I have tried and tested and truly recommend! All Photographs are (C) Pratibha unless stated otherwise.*
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!
Latest posts by Pratibha (see all)
- 9 Recipes for Infused Water - October 23, 2017
- 12 posts for best Diwali ideas for home - October 15, 2017
- Biscotti Recipe – Cranberry and Almond Biscotti for Diwali - October 13, 2017