I feel the chill setting in with the rains that don’t stop at all. I crave for something warm to drink all the time. My search led me to a drink I had heard about often, but never really tasted it. I got about making this drink today and I have to say that not only is it rejuvenating but also has loads of health benefits. Kashaya or Kashayam as it is known, is an Ayurvedic drink. It is a drink that is known to balance doshas and it also helps to keep common illness at bay.
Each of the ingredients used in this has immense health benefits.
- Coriander seeds are known to ease digestion and are a rich source of Vitamin C. It also contains iron that prevents anemia and is recommended for women who have menstrual irregularities.
- Fennel seeds helps in maintaining the blood pressure and and promotes better heart health because of the potassium levels in it. Fennel seeds also aid in digestion and it helps to rest the tired you!
- Black pepper is an decongestant and helps to clear the sinuses. It is a recommended spice to cure the cough and flu. I also has anti bacterial properties that builds up your immunity.
- Cumin seeds are known to have a high content of vitamin E which keeps your skin healthy and glowing. It is also an excellent detox that helps you to flush out the impurities from your body.
To make the Kashaya Powder
- 1 cup coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup cumin seeds
- 1/4th cup fennel seeds
- 1 tsbp black peppercorns
Dry roast these ingredients on the lowest flame till you can smell the aromas of the spices. Do not brown them. This procedure should take approximately 5 – 7 minutes. Turn off the flame and transfer the ingredients onto a dry plate. Let it cool completely and grind it to a fine powder. I like the coarse powder so I do not grind it into a fine powder.
To brew the kashaya
Boil 1 cup water ( 200 ml) and add to it 1 tsp kashaya powder with 1 tsp of grated jaggery. Let it boil for a minute and add 2 tsbps of milk to it and turn off the flame. Let it steep for a minute or two and the strain it. Drink when hot for maximum benefits.
Follow Me On…
*All of my reviews are based on my own personal experiences with the brand/products. If it is a sponsored post, it is indicated. Most of the brands and products reviewed are what I have tried and tested and truly recommend! All Photographs are (C) Pratibha unless stated otherwise.*
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!
Latest posts by Pratibha (see all)
- 12 posts for best Diwali ideas for home - October 15, 2017
- Biscotti Recipe – Cranberry and Almond Biscotti for Diwali - October 13, 2017
- Recipes with Nutreat Kids products - October 11, 2017