I have been planning to make my own foaming hand soap for a while now. It is one of the most simplest recipes that you can work on and it is also completely non-fussy. The advantage of making your own foaming hand soap is that you know its completely natural and you can choose the fragrances you want to use.
It takes less than a minute to make a foaming hand soap. Yes, it is THAT SIMPLE! All that you need to ensure is you have the required ingredients available in your home at any give time. Trust me, you’ll find it difficult to go back to a regular hand soap once you get used to this.
How to make your own foaming hand soap
To start with, you’ll need a foaming hand soap container/dispenser. A foaming soap dispenser is very different from your regular dispenser. I prefer a foaming hand soap dispenser because the quantity that is dispensed is far lesser in comparison to the regular dispenser. A 200 ml bottle of foam soap will last up to two months when used regularly.
What you need:
- Foaming soap bottle dispenser – I picked up this one that holds 100 ml of the liquid.
- Liquid Castile Soap – 1.5 – 2 tbsps
- Essential Oils – 5 – 8 drops (add more if you want a stronger fragrance)
- Pure Almond Oil – 1/2 tsp
- 60 ml of warm water
Making the foaming hand soap
- Fill the soap dispenser with about 60 ml of warm water. Ensure that you have about 1 inch room at the top of the bottle to accommodate the dispenser pump and the liquid soap.
- Add about 1.5 – 2 tbsps of liquid castile soap to the warm water. (NOTE: Always add the soap in the water and and not water to the soap. If you add water to the soap it will create a lot of bubbles). You may want to increase or decrease the quantity of the soap according to your requirement.
- Add the almond oil and the essential oils that you want.
- Close and lightly swirl the mix in the bottle to mix it well.
- Pump a few times to let the foam start dispensing.
- This makes about 85 – 90 ml of liquid soap that can be used for almost 1 month.
The ingredients in the foaming hand soap
I like to make smaller quantities of this foaming hand soap because it allows me to make a fresher batch with a fragrance that I like at frequent intervals. Let’s have a quick look at the ingredients in this foaming hand soap.
- Almond oil is very nourishing for the skin. It helps to keep your hands soft and moisturised even after you have washed it. This is very much required for those with dry skin and for all skin types in the winter season. If you don’t have almond oil, add a capsule of Vit E oil for the same results. **
- Using essential oils in this recipe is an option. If you buy a castile soap with a fragrance, you may want to give the essential oils a miss.
- Liquid Castile soap is a gentle soap for your skin. Look for a natural option when you buy liquid castile soap.
Foaming hand soap Vs Liquid hand soap
One of the biggest advantage of the foaming hand soap is that you don’t use concentrated soap to wash your hands. Plus this recipe of the foaming hand soap is completely natural and organic, which means that is safe for your skin. A liquid hand soap on the contrary is more harsh to the skin. A little quantity goes a long way when you use a foaming hand soap.
I have to add here that this is not my own recipe. I have taken this recipe from the blog of Wellness Mama and made certain tweaks to suit my preferences. You can read the original recipe here. Wellness Mama is a blog that you must be following if you love natural living. Her blog is literally a repository of ideas on natural and chemical free living that you will love to implement in your own life!
* This post contains affiliate links.
** Always conduct a patch test before you try any of my recipes to avoid any reaction or allergies.
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!