In my last post on essential oils that you can use at home, I had listed three of my favourite essential oils that I have been using for a long time. In this post, I will talk about essential oils that are safe to use for kids over 2 years*. Essential oils are safe to use and I have experimenting with it for the past few months by making my own lotion bars and pain relief bars. I have also been using essential oils for kids, like making a vapour rub for them that is a lot safer than the toxic alternatives. There are loads of natural and home remedies that can be made with essential oils, but I will save that info for another post!
Using essential oils for babies
When you buy essential oils, ensure that you buy pure essential oils. While these may be costly, you are sure of the quality of the product that you can use. Organic essential oils would be the best buy While I do have a collection of individual essential oils, there are also certain blended oils that I use only diffusers because of the wonderful therapeutic properties it has. The Nidra essential oil from Omved is a mix of calming fragrances that promotes really good sleep!
4 ways to use essential oils for babies
Essential oils are very strong and you need very little quantity of the oil to let it work. There are may ways of using essential oils for your little one, and some of the recommended methods are:
1. Inhalation – All you need to do is rub a drop or two of the essential oil in your hands and cup the hands over the nose and mouth of the child. Keep your hands at least 8 inches away from the nose and mouth and let them inhale the fragrance of the oils for a few minutes. This works best when your child has a congestion.
2. Topical – Topical applications are not recommended unless your doctor advises the same. You will need to mix one drop of the essential oil with a carrier oil and use it accordingly. Pure coconut oil, olive oil and sweet almond oil are common carrier oils that can be used when mixing the essential oil.
3. Massage – I use this on nights when my boys are really tired and can do with a bit of pampering. I mix a drop of lavender essential oil with pure coconut oil to massage their feet to promote calm and relaxation. Needless to say that it also promotes a good sleep.
4. Diffuse – This one is my most preferred techniques. I have always preferred to use a diffuser to let the aroma from the essential oils spread in the house. All you need to do is add 4-5 drops of the essential oil and use in a diffuser. The fragrance from a diffuser lasts for at least 3 hours or more so the effects are long lasting.
Since essential oils are very concentrated, you should not over use it. One drop of essential oil needs to be mixed completely with one teaspoon of carrier oil. Using less oil can cause a burning sensation or rashes on the tender skin. If you are wary of using the oils topically or as a massage option, the best recommended way to use it is as an oil in the diffuser. Do you have a favourite essential oil that you like to use for your kids too?
*Please do consult your doctor to check for allergies before you start using these oils for your kids.
Follow Me On…
*All of my reviews are based on my own personal experiences with the brand/products. If it is a sponsored post, it is indicated. Most of the brands and products reviewed are what I have tried and tested and truly recommend! All Photographs are (C) Pratibha unless stated otherwise.*
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!
Latest posts by Pratibha (see all)
- 7 Ways Parents Turn Their Child Into a Spoilt Brat - February 1, 2019
- The Ultimate Green Living Hamper for 2019 - January 21, 2019
- How a WhatsApp rumour spoilt my medicine cabinet - January 17, 2019