Summer and monsoon are the breeding time for insects. Apart from the common bacterial and viral infections, mosquito-borne diseases are on the rise. Keeping your living areas clean to ensure there is no infection breeding can be a task. Don’t you think that this requires you to keep your home completely clean? And you can do all this keeping in mind the benefits of natural insect repellents.
In the next few posts I will be focusing on the benefits of using natural insect repellents to keep your house clean. But have you ever thought why is it always recommenced to use natural insect repellents over the chemical laden ones?
Benefits of using natural insect repellents
I am sure that you are aware of the benefits of using natural insect repellents. Yes, its good for you and the environment too. Pregnant women, infants, young children and senior citizens are particularly vulnerable to the side effects most of the chemical laden repellents have, and it’s particularly hard for them to recover. In a nutshell, chemical insect repellents do more harm than good, especially in the long run.
Why Natural Insects Repellents are the best way to keep your Home Pest-free?
This instinctive fear/disgust of insects could be nature’s way of protecting us, since pests are associated with various illnesses. From a minor allergic reaction to a bite to serious diseases like dengue, yellow fever, Lyme disease, malaria, plague and many others, pests are better kept away from our homes and families.
This is a bigger problem in India, partly due to our dense population and high humidity. For pests which have larger body surface area compared to their size, humidity improves their chances of survival. Thanks to global warming, even previously cool regions are beginning to see an increase in the number of insects.
The Problem with Chemical Insect Repellents
So this makes pest control a high priority for every household. While this is perfectly fine, the problem is when it comes to the methods of pest control. Take a look into any random urban Indian home and you’re sure to find cans of sprays – one for each insect! All cans have writing in bold fonts, claiming to destroy all the pests in your house in a single spray.
But what about the humans in your home? Just one spray of chemical insect repellent releases several chemicals into the air, which could cause all kinds of health problems for the whole family. Here are just some of them:
- Several repellents contain DEET, a chemical that can affect the central nervous system
- Chemical repellents can sting, causing more trouble for people with sensitive skin
- Certain toxic compounds present in bug sprays have been categorized among carcinogenic substances
- Experiments have found chemical repellents to be strong enough to melt plastic
- The chemicals in insect sprays can also pollute the environment
Given these complications, don’t do think that there are benefits of using natural insect repellents?
Why Natural Insect Repellents work Better?
So this brings us to seek natural alternatives to get rid of bugs. There are many naturally occurring substances that have insect-repelling properties. Eucalyptus, neem, lavender, citronella, tea tree oil and even spices are known to repel insects. You can make your own bug spray by mixing these essential oils and spices in the right proportions along with carrier oils and putting them in spray bottles. While this is actually a good idea in theory, it may not exactly be practical, especially for busy parents!!
What types of natural insect repellents are available in the market?
There are various types of natural insect repellents available in the market. Some of the products that I have used and I recommend are:
- Dhoops: Mashaka Dhoop by Omved is one of the only dhoops that I know which is 100% chemical-free. You will need a coal briquette and a dhoopdan for this dhoop. All I can say is that Mashaka dhoop helps to cleanse your surroundings without causing any hazards. Burn the coal briquette and add the dhoop on it to let it cleanse your home naturally.
- Incense sticks: Look up MoStick by Herbal Strategi. Particularly effective in open spaces, these incense sticks work like a charm to keep those pests away.
- Essential oils: Essentials oils are really strong, so you will need just a few drops in the diffuser to let the aroma waft into your home. Look up the variants from Omved and you can also use the oils of citronella to keep your home insect free.
- Mosquito coils : The mosquito coils from Omved again are really effective. I am yet to come across another brand that makes completely natural mosquito coils.
- Topical Lotions: These can be lotions and body sprays that can be applied topically without causing any side-effects. You will need to check with your doctor or have a look at the ingredients listed to ensure that you are not allergic to anything in the product.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 269.00Was: INR 299.00
Price: Out of stock
Price: INR 299.00Was: INR 340.00
In the following posts, I will be introducing you more to brands that believe in the benefits of using natural insect repellents. Now you know why it makes more sense to opt for natural insect repellent products! All natural insect repellents are formulated using 100% natural ingredients and tested to ensure they have no side effects. So, now that you know about the benefits of using natural insect repellents, what are your choices going to be?
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!
Latest posts by Pratibha (see all)
- Benefits of Self Massage in Ayurveda – Abhyanga - August 13, 2018
- 10 Signs You Need to Detox Your Body Immediately - August 8, 2018
- What is helicopter parenting? And how you can avoid it! - August 3, 2018