Cleansing, toning and moisturizing is an important part of our daily skincare regimen. A clean skin is always a bliss; an even skin tone, no blemishes, nourished complexion and more. Cleansing the skin helps to get rid of the make-up, dirt, grime and the pollutants you may have been exposed to all through the day. Oil cleansing is one of the important skin care routines that is here to stay and of course, there are many benefits oil cleansing.
Anyone can do oil-cleansing provided you use the right blend of oils. Let’s look at how to oil cleanse and its benefits
How to oil cleanse/ What is oil-cleansing?
If you are a make-up person, it is recommended that you oil cleanse the previous night. Sleeping with the make up on is not going to help you make your skin better.
What you need for an oil cleanse: A soft wash cloth, oil cleanser and a bowl of hot water.
- Take about a teaspoonful of oil and massage between the palms to make the oil slightly warm.
- Starting with the neck and moving on the chin, cheeks and forehead, rub the oil in circular motion.
- Start massaging gently to boost the circulation and remove all traces of make-up, dirt and grime.
- Using slow, yet firm motions, let the oils penetrate deep into the pores. This is like a mini abhyanga or a self-massage that you do only for the face and neck.
- Since you are oil cleansing at the end of the day, make sure that you unwind as you indulge in this mini massage. Play some music you like or light up your favorite fragranced candles to induce a sense of calm and relaxation. Let the oil stay for a few minutes.
- Dip your wash cloth is slightly hot water, wring off excess water and place it on your face for a while to let it relax your skin.
- Now, wipe your skin to remove the oils. You may need to do this a couple of times to ensure the oil has been completely wiped off the face and neck. Warm water helps to soften the pores and remove the oils.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel, if you have extremely dry skin, you may need to follow up with a night serum or moisturizer.
What types of oils can you use to oil cleanse the skin?
You can use pure coconut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, avocado oil and grape seed oil to cleanse your skin. It is important that you choose oils that are preferably therapeutic grade and made with 100% natural and organic ingredients because your skin will absorb the oil.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 315.00Was: INR 350.00
Price: INR 650.00Was: INR 725.00
- Oily Skin: 1 tsp of castor oil mixed with 2 tsp of sunflower oil.
- Normal Skin: ½ tsp castor oil blended with 1.5 tsp of sunflower oil
- Acne prone / Sensitive skin: 1/4th tsp castor oil, 1/2 tsp sunflower oil and 1 tsp of grapeseed oil
- Dry Skin: 1/4th tsp each of castor oil and sunflower oil and 1 tsp of avocado oil
Depending your skin type, you will need to blend the oils accordingly. Castor Oil is the main oil that you use when you opt for oil cleansing. You can mix it with these carrier oils – coconut, sunflower, almond, olive, jojoba, avocado and grape seed. Do not use essential oils in any of these blends.
5 benefits of oil cleansing
When you use an array of natural products, it is bound to be beneficial for your skin. Here are some benefits of oil cleansing that you should know.
Natural and Non Toxic
Since you are using pure and therapeutic grade oils, you are keeping the chemicals at bay. Plant based oils are natural and much better than the chemical counterparts available in the market.
Hydrates and moisturizes the skin
The oils will keep your skin hydrated and nourished long after you have done the oil cleansing. It is recommended to perform the cleansing at night so that your skin receives hydration all night long.
Gets rid of acne
It’s a myth that oil cleansing cannot be done by people who have oily or acne prone skin. When you use the right blend of oils, oil cleansing not just helps to remove traces of dirt, but also helps to balance oil production. When the sebum production is regulated, acne is under control.