It started two years ago I remember the day. That was the point I realized I needed help if I wanted to be fit, healthy and more importantly not be dependent on anyone as I grew older. And it all happened because no matter how hard I tried; the darn fastened lid of the jam bottle refused to open. My then, 10-year-old boy looked at me and asked if he could help, and yes, he opened it in a jiffy!
Are your muscles ageing faster than you?
Experts opine that our muscles actually age faster than us! Yes, our muscles are older than our age. How did I realize that my muscles were ageing faster than me? Well, there was the jam bottle incident but there was also:
- Loss of strength – When I stirred vegetables for long while cooking, it would cause a pain in the arms.
- Reduction in natural immunity in your body – I fell sick more often. Body aches and slight fever were my constants!
- Episodes of fatigue – I would be constantly tired with zero motivation.
- Inability to do simple tasks – I just had to pick a bag of vegetables and a searing pain would tear through the shoulders.
- Constant migraines – These would be debilitating pains that often forced me to shut myself in a dark room for at least two days in a row.
When these episodes surfaced time and again, I realized that I was missing the important element of good nutrition in my body.
Improving your muscle age
As I usher in to my 40’s, my gynecologist actually sat me down during one of my visits and told me that complete nutrition is essential to improve immunity for prevention from infections (internal strength) and physical strength for healthy living (external strength). That was also the time I decided to make certain changes to my lifestyle.
Leading mostly a lifestyle where I could clock 10k steps a day was certainly not enough for me. I joined the gym and the universe conspired against me and the pandemic hit! With the gyms closed, I resorted to training myself at home to build up my immunity and strengthen my muscles. Here are some things that I tweaked and changed in my life style.
- Include more greens in my diet – a plateful of salads or microgreens or simple green leafy vegetables cooked in olive oil is a good starter. I also ate mindfully. I cut my diet by 30% and ate a bit less than I usually did. This ensured I did not binge and my body had the capacity to not overwork to digest the food.
- Choose a healthy workout – Apart from doing repeated sets with weights, I looked up easy to do programs on YouTube like the Leslie Sansone’s 3 mile walk that is packed with aerobics, strengthening and building core muscles.
- One cup of Ensure – One cup of Ensure that is packed with all the essential vitamins and nutrients your body needs to build up resistance and immunity is the best that accompanies my meal plan.
The results were for me to see. I feel more energetic and while I do have my days of fatigue and headaches, the days are far lesser than what they used to be. Take the leap of faith. If not for yourself, for your body. To #EnsureStrongerInsideOut. You’ll need it to open the fastened lids of jam and pickle bottles!
Do you want to know the age of your muscles? Take the muscle age test to check. And if you are like me, you’ll know it is time that you incorporate the changes mentioned to your lifestyle to lead a healthy life!
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa.