I have talked about my journey towards becoming more eco-conscious and moving towards green parenting a few months ago. I have been introduced to many brands and products over the few years that make me stronger in the resolve to move towards living a better life. I think one of the biggest steps I took in the way of eco living was jotting down my 10 green resolutions for 2014. I revisited the list recently and I am happy to say that resolutions 2,4,6 and 8 are being followed really well! I think the biggest move I did was to move to a kindle and not buy any books! I am still getting there and I realise that there was more to life than just the 10 easy ways to live an eco friendly life! Here I am with some more tips for you to live a green life.
8 easy ways to live an eco friendly life
1. Buy right – If you are looking at buying furniture and fixtures for your home, invest in quality. You would rather opt for a good sturdy bed that can last a few years rather than a flimsy option. Ditto for other furniture. Instead of opting for plastic chairs, opt for a well-made sofa whose cost can be recovered for the number of years you use it.
2. Use Green – Have you ever looked at the ingredients list of the products you have at home? Use products that are a part of natural living and organic farming. Use products that use natural ingredients and have no hidden chemicals and toxins in it. I’d love it if you could look at the ingredient list of the cosmetics and skin care products you use. Make that switch right now. Use the coupon code omvedspl15 to get a flat 15% off when you shop at Omved. Omved has been one of my favourite stores to promote green living and I am glad to be able to reach out to you all with this awesome offer.
3. Use the right lights – No, I did not give it much thought till I actually noticed a drop in the electricity bill. Using LED lights are a better option because you get to save on electricity. Ecotokri has a range of LED and CFL bulbs that you can choose from. Yes, they are expensive, but they last a really long time!
4. Shut down – To be honest, this is one activity that I really need to work on. After a really long day, the last thing I want to do is switch off the laptop, turn off the wi-fi and other gadgets. Your computer might be in the sleep mode, but if there’s a light on, it’s still using energy. Think about how much energy you can save.
5. Buy local produce – This is yet another thing that I am working on. While it is easy to buy organic food like the rice, pulses and grains at the supermarket, I am still a bit apprehensive about the local shops that claim to sell organic veggies and fruits. Look for a Sunday market near the place you stay, most of the people who sell the items are local farmers and you are giving them a chance to earn well.
6. Do you really want it? – Anything with a 50% off is attractive. The last time I counted I had some 18 soaps, 2 shampoos and conditioners, 2 hair oils and lots of samples of body lotions and body butters. Yes, I don’t need to buy anything for the next year and a half, but the hoarding just stops me from buying new things that I may want to try. No matter how tempting it is, ask yourself if you really need it!
7. Look for natural alternatives – I would not recommend replacing the trusted doctor with natural alternatives, but you know natural alternatives can help you in staying healthy. I know that ever since I have been actively working on administering home remedies to the boys, the visits to the doctor are lesser.
8. Switch to natural cleaners – There is a wide variety of organic cleaning solutions available in the market that do not use any chemicals in the products. There are loads of cleaning options at your home too with the numerous ingredients available right in your kitchen.
When you choose to live green, you are consciously making an attempt to live a better life. It takes an effort to move towards sustainable living, but when you do make that move, there is no looking back! You will be able to discover easy ways to live an eco friendly life.
Find me on…
*Most of the brands and products reviewed are what I have tried and tested and truly recommend! If it is a sponsored post, it is indicated. All Photographs are (C) Pratibha unless stated otherwise.*
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!
Latest posts by Pratibha (see all)
- Clothes shopping for children - May 13, 2017
- Best homemade natural scrubs to remove tan - May 2, 2017
- Best natural diaper rash creams in India for your baby - April 27, 2017