One of the things that I dread the most is my kids falling ill. And with twins, it is but natural that they fall ill together. My first instinct is to get them up and running with the home made remedies and the natural therapies. My last resort is dosage of the antibiotics. Most of the times I am lucky enough to not get to the antibiotics stage. I stick to tried and tested recipes I make at home and the natural products I use. My boys are currently down with a bad case of viral, thanks to the incessant rains and the sudden drop in the temperatures. I am sure the weather would be changing drastically in other places too, and that is what prompted me to make this quick post.
I’ve listed some of my tried and tested recipes and products that works wonders for my boys and some of my friend’s kids. You might want to check with your paediatrician before you administer any of these for your kids to ensure they are not allergic to any of the ingredients.
1. The Jungle Mosquito Bands : These are strap on bands that can slapped on the wrists or the ankles. You can either use just one or both depending on the intensity of the mosquitoes around you. The citronella oil in the bands keeps the mosquitoes at bay. You can read about the product that I recently reviewed here. They have these in four designs and the kids will love it! You can buy these from SafetyKart.
2. The pepper corn and jaggery mix: I have this uncanny ability to attract random strangers who come up to me and tell me home made tips. I was at a wedding when one old man just came up to me and gave me this recipe. Yes, just like that! I came home and googled the benefits, and yes it works!
All that you need to do is for every one portion of peppercorn, take thrice the amount of jaggery (gud). Crush this to just short of the fine consistency in a mortar and pestle. Store in an airtight container. This can be consumed in the powder form or with honey. I make these into small pellets and give it to the boys. My dosage is restricted to not more than 4 pellets in a day. As you can see, I have taken roughly about two pinches of the mix and added organic honey to it. My boys prefer it with the honey.
3. Cold and Cough Medicine from Nirvaaha : There are two Nirvaaha’s causing enough confusion in the market and this product belongs to the Bangalore Nirvaaha. Founded by Rafi and Faakhra, this husband and wife team are awesome and most willing to answer just about anything and everything that you ask them! This one is made by Faakhra and it is a mixture that you mix with organic honey.
This product is not sold online and if you want to buy this , you will need to mail Nirvaaha and they will ship it to you and you will need to pay the shipping cost too. Mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow them on FB here. This mix works for my boys and I notice the cough and cold reducing with just about 5-6 doses. I give them about 4 doses spread across the day. And honestly, it has an awesome taste with the honey and my boys love it! So I am not complaining. Faakhra also mentioned that this is good to build up the immunity, so I do give about two pinches of this powder mixed with honey on a daily basis to the boys.
4. Sushwasa range from Omved*
This is one product that works absolute wonders and helps my boys sleep well through the night. As the name suggests, sushwasa means pure breath. I own the three variants of Sushwasa that works like a miracle to decongest the blocked passages.
- I have the remedy roller ( forgotten the count of this one!), the Sushwasa EO and the Sushwasa spritz. While I love all the variants, my favourite is the remedy roller that is travel friendly and extremely convenient to carry. You need to apply this on the chest and make your kids make some warm clothes.
- The EO is something I use in the diffusers to purify and cleanse the air for easy breathing. I love the fragrance of camphor and eucalyptus that gives out such a lovely fragrance.
- The mist or spritz is what I use to spray lightly on the clothes, the pillows and the quilts they use when they sleep. The lingering fragrance helps them breathe well and sleep well through the night.
Please note that I have been using the remedy roller on my kids since they were 2 years old, the spritz and the EO since they turned 3. You may want to check with your doctors if they are ready to use it.
The Sushwasa range is made in a base of pure jojoba, almond and olive oils and has the perfectly balanced synergy of therapeutic-grade essential oils including Black Pepper, Eucalyptus, Camphor, Basil, and Ginger, traditionally used effectively to decongest.
*Use the Omved Discount Coupon 790191l to avail a 10 % off on a minimum purchase of INR 500. Valid till Aug 31st.
The boys, coffee, books, music and ME TIME are my modes of relaxation!
Latest posts by Pratibha (see all)
- 12 posts for best Diwali ideas for home - October 15, 2017
- Biscotti Recipe – Cranberry and Almond Biscotti for Diwali - October 13, 2017
- Recipes with Nutreat Kids products - October 11, 2017